Monday, January 01, 2007

A new kind of new yr's eve...

New years are always ushered in in grandeur. With crowds marauding about and feeling of joy in the air, everyone’s happy and enjoying the moment. With fireworks blasting away in the distant air and songs playing in the background, needless to say getting sprayed at with foam strings, it’s a moment of celebration!!

I’ve opted instead to usher in the new yr in a different but no less spectacular way. We gathered together a group of friends, headed to a quite remote area and BARBEQUED!! We started planning about it at 1830 and were done at 2000 on the 31st of Dec. It was gonna be held at jay’s grandparent’s place and aaron will me picking up William and I’ll pick up benny and wt. Ampang fellas will be following jay.

It was already 2200 and we still have no chicken! We began a frantic search for supermarkets but were turned away at attempt. We then decided to try our luck at tesco and jolly good, it’s opened till 11. We bought 20 pieces of chicken, sausages, balls and drinks! 8 guys, went marketing for supplies at 10 in the nite to hold a bbq which was only planned 2 hours ago. Fantastic!

Liks was JM-ing when I phoned him to drag him along. Apparently he wanted to celebrate with those ‘aunties’ from the dinner! We went to pick him up anyway. By the time we reach jay’s grandparent’s house, it was already 2345! By the time we finished setting up the table and arranging the stuff, it was almost midnite! So we just stood up and looked at our watches at when the hand stuck 12, we all screamed, clapped and shouted. Greeting and wishing each other happy new yr. Oh, just 50 metres away from us were a group of ppl who came from nowhere to the middle of the field holding beer cans and shouting away as well.

After that burst of activity, we began setting up the fire….. with only 1 piece of fire starter. It took us longer than usual and the pit was ready only at 0115. We were all starving and rushed to bbq our stuffs. I don’t know why but I like cooking chicken and was turning and applying honey + margarine to the chicken. Benny brought half a bottle of Absolut and we drank while bbq-ing.

When we were done eating, it was already 0300. We then played Seven where the loser has to drink a shot of vodka. It was blardy hilarious and enjoyable. There was still a bit of vodka left so I poured it into 9 cups for a toast! “Cheers……. Yuuuummmm Siiiingg!!!” Lol…a mixture of English modernity and Chinese orthodoxy. Throughout the whole nite, benny and kevin were snapping away photos. And at the end, we cam-whored by setting the timer for 5 shots and took group photos. With every flash came diff poses and diff smiles.

We cleaned up, threw the garbage and went home. I sent liks and wt back while aaron offered to help me send benny home since he was using that way to send William home. The ampangs fellas (Kyle, Kevin and jay) settled themselves. =) But I couldn’t go home just yet, wai kit called me and said they we waiting for me at GasOnline, pandan indah. My phone was dead and used liks’s phone to call charles and ask for direction. He told me to go over 2 over heads, kept left turn right….left..right…..straight and smth smth.


I got lost! And they had to come pick me up. Actually the way to the place was quite easy. I just got mixed up. And also because he gave me the wrong friggin direction!! We had beer and more beer. Half way thru, wk told us that his gf just broke off with him. Raymond then cracked some joke and we were laughing away. We continued playing cards while drinking but it’s good to know that none of us got drunk! When we were told that the shop’s gonnna close and we were told we couldn’t stay any longer, I was ready to embrace my beautiful bed. But alas, they still wanted to stay up and decided to go have dim sum. At 6 in the friggin morning!! I tagged along. Lol, we chatted more and I looked at them eat. All the time, I was just thinking bout shutting my eyes and go to sleep. But it was fun in a way! I’ve enjoyed myself and ushered in the new yr not with hundreds of people surrounding me but just with friends around me.

Happy friggin New Year all. It’s gonna be a Great & Dashing year for us all and let us no longer look at what was or what could’ve been. We now look forward and reach for the sky!! Cheers!!

No comments: