Friday, October 06, 2006

Not For The Faint Hearted

What’s your fucking name? What the hell are you doing here? Go home..go home and enjoy ur life after PMR. Then 2 guys ordered me to do 20 push ups on the spot. As I was going down, the other 2 contradicts the former and told me to stand up straight. I was in a dilemma. What do I do? Then they started pushing me around and telling me to fuck the hell off from the place. Tears started running down my cheeks. I decided to just stand there. Well, that’s the intro for my SR. This yrs, sr is no different. With the usually screaming and shouting right at their faces. Eight of them came but how many will last to become a senior of Victoria scout group?
The day starts at 0830 in sch wearing sch uni. For any late comers, those already present are punished for it. Furthermore, imperfect attire will be met will a flurry of reprimanding and push ups. Assignments are given daily and number around 20-30. Failure to complete them w/o a valid reason will in turn cause every1 to be punished.
Physical training is scheduled for the 1st week. Everyday at 2.30 when the sun is shining brightly, we are ordered to run 10-15 rounds around school, 500 push ups and if they’re in a happy mood, 600, 150-200 sit ups and 30-50 chin ups. Sounds fun doesn’t it? And it is! I enjoyed it a lot, although some others seem to dread it. Bummer.
Thus, it’s safe to say that the 1st week is the toughest and most critical. For those who couldn’t handle themselves, they will choose to abandon their brothers and quit. Those who could not channel their pressure and\or anger will also leave their brothers to their fate. We had 14 on the 1st day, however after a week, the number had already dropped to 11.
SR is an orientation period that is vital to change the form 3’s boyscout’s attitude into a senior’s. They have to be adept at handling problems and is able to make good decisions under pressure. It is demanding and hard and the easiest way to get through it is by leaning to ur fellow brothers. It need not be all that scary and strenuous. I went through mine laughing. Altho I put it due to me laughing at the sight of vivek getting
punched in the stomach and how his tummy seems to wobble.
Through sr, I gained a lot of scouting knowledge. I learned to obey orders that are given but to disobey them if I regard them as wrong or stupid. My confidence improved tremendously after sr and it might be due to the fact that I have to perform embarrassing things during that time. I was also taught how to handle difficult problems and the ability to make good decisions under pressure. I’d also fostered a bond btw fellow sr’s that is so strong and lasting that it is the envy of ppl in my sch.
It’s hoped that all 8 of em this yr can last to become full-fletch senior scouts and that they will obtain what I’ve acquired or maybe to even gain smth that I might have missed out. Cheers and good luck!

No comments: