Saturday, September 02, 2006

Wave that flag A*hole...It's Merdeka!!

I’ve been trying to update my post for the past 2 weeks but to no avail. Every time I complete the introductory paragraph, my brain seems to freeze and I lose all the ideas I’ve had or I feel that the work done was unsatisfactory thus forcing myself to delete it.
So Malaysia was celebrating its 49th independence day on the 31st and everyone was glaringly excited about it. However, I felt nothing. It’s not so much shock than fright that overtook me. Here, a teenager with so much freedom and access to knowledge, living in a purportedly democratic country is not overly excited that his country has achieved independence for 49 yrs. Does the independence that our forefathers strived to achieve not matter?
However, does celebrating the event with so much joy and enthusiast make you more of a patriot than others? Or rather you think that waving the national flag and dressing with the nation’s colours means you’re more of a Malaysian than others? Open your eyes and you shall see that Independence has a grander meaning such that idiots will not be able to comprehend.
Our independence sees to it that we are able to enjoy what it means to live in a democracy. We are able to choose our government, our religion, the ability of move and speak w/o restriction so long as it abides by the law. The freedom of choice! We have enjoyed these privileges for so long that we seem to be taking it for granted.
So be thankful for that and whilst you cheer and clap and shout in joy in the celebration of Merdeka Day, keep a thought in the corner of you mind of that it means to be Independent!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.