Sunday, October 18, 2015

Why I think Malaysia will stay mediocre

I had some itch in my brain to write this opinion piece. Wait, all posts are just opinions anyway. Redundant statement. As i curse myself for not merely thinking about that but actually allowed my fingers to type it, I began to wonder where did I learn this self-discipline and shame. Granted, it does take one to know discipline and to know shame to feel remorse after saying something ridiculous.

As I am away from the city I was born and raised, I can only read on the news and rumours to keep myself up-to-date on the happenings of my country and city. I troll themalaysianinsider.com and thestar.com.my that a loyal dog waiting on its masters. Refreshing the pages whenever I feel my screen is not too vulnerable to ghosting eyes or when I  dont give a nickle if my colleagues doubts im working or passing my time.

Air pollution index that is much more relaxed than those limits set by our tiny neighbour. 1MDB, Bombs blasting ATM machines. Falling signboards flattening a car with three persons. People demanding Penang to be returned to Kedah. 1MDB, Ministers telling me I dont belong in this country and I should go back to China. Minister telling me GST ay 6% is good. Ministers telling me toll hikes are good for the country. Ministers showing they signed incredulous deals with Highway concessionaires. One should really check the ownership of these and publish them online. Ministers telling me to not to insult leaderships, even if its a lame duck leadership who have failed at all levels. Have I mentioned 1MDB? Ministers telling me that if im so unsatisfied, I can leave the country to go back to tiongshan. Do not mind the fact that I dont know where tiongshan is.

SO where do i begin? If I am to elaborate on each of these items and items which I have not stated, I could publish a book. Hmmmm, maybe I should. I shall name it "Mediocre Writings of a Mediocre Malaysian Engineer".

Contrary to what my ministers kept telling me, I still identify myself as a Malaysian first when i'm overseas. They could think I'm a Malay or that i'm Chinese but the first think I will be made known is that I'm Malaysian.

Hence, I am insulted. And I am deeply trouble by the fact that I am thinking of absconding from this country. Legally of course, which means I have to look for employment. I am insulted because for generations my family has been rooted in Old Klang Road. I am insulted because my family made its fortune when Mr Lim was mending straw shoes and subsequently lost it before the hotel on the mountain was created. To shoo me away and to tell me to go back to a place where I have not heard, much less seen, is to deny the contributions of my forefathers to the industry and development of this small little part of KL when it was still only a backwater.

We are Malaysia ladies and gentleman. A potpourri of flavours, spices and ingredients. Hence, to maintain power, it is detrimental to keep each flavour jarred individually and to the show to each flavour and it is prominent. By putting on a show that Minister is a champion of the major flavour, he can be assured that he will be backed. Nevertheless, for this segregation and separation to be successful, there is one key ingredient that is the major enabler.

Education.

By keeping the general masses intellectually deprived. By promoting religion and religiosity, those in power can easily rule over the general masses no matter how much discontent is shown by certain sectors of the masses. Solely because of numbers. The people who realize or assumed to be in the know is a small % in comparison to the general masses as a whole.

This is why I think WE will remain mediocre for the foreseeable future.

No comments: